31 January 2013

Pinterest passion

"All yours, Babooshka, Babooshka, Babooshka-ya-ya!"  I can just hear her now...back in the 80s I loved Kate Bush and I loved this song.

I guess I always had a thing for these cuties and so began my Pinterest board 'Babushkas'.



So get this, these little babies are also know as Matryoshka dolls! But did you know there are few different ways to spell Babushkas? Here's Wikipedia's description...

"Babushka or baboushka or babooshka from Russian: ба́бушкаIPA: [ˈbabʊʂkə]  meaning "grandmother" or "old woman") may also refer to:

  • A Western term for a woman's headscarf tied below the chin in the Eastern European manner.
  • Babushka, an alias of Russian revolutionary Catherine Breshkovsky
  • Babushka Adoption Foundation
  • "Babooshka", a song by Kate Bush
  • The story of Baboushka and the Three Kings
  • Babushka doll, a commonly misused name for Matryoshka doll
  • Babushka Lady is a nickname for an unknown woman who might have photographed the events that occurred in Dealey Plaza in Dallas at the time President John F. Kennedy was shot
  • Buranovskiye Babushki, a Russian ethno-pop band containing eight elderly women from Buranovo, Udmurtia."


Nowadays they are not just a stacking doll but are used in many different ways...

Image source
I like this but I also love the more traditional use for the Babushkas.

Image source
Babushkas are still a very popular pin on Pinterest. Having just done a search, I think I'll go repin some of these lovelies...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover